The many benefits of VDI have been recognized and understood for many years now:
- Simplified desktop deployment - quickly and easily provide users with access to the corporate desktop.
- Centralized desktop management - quickly and easily deal with OS updates, CPU, RAM and Hard disk provisioning. Create single images files for use on many different hardware platforms.
- Walk-off data security - 10s of 1000s of laptops are lost or stolen each year. VDI ensures that the Intellectual property is protected from the end-device
- Simplified issue resolution and recovery - failed end-user devices no longer take days to recover from
- Genuine, customizable Windows client environments - VDI eliminates the inherent problems with shared virtual user sessions by providing:
- Independent environments
- Full windows user experience
- Highly flexible environments
- Great performance
- Improved security
Despite the many benefits many organizations have found the huge upfront capital expenditure (CAPEX) and ongoing management expenses required to move from physical to virtual, to be prohibitive.
DaaS eliminates all of the following requirements of traditional VDI:
- Huge upfront costs:
- Data center costs:
- Server hardware
- Networking hardware
- Management software
- Optimization software
- Storage costs
- Additional physical storage
- Centralized virtual desktop storage optimization
- Management solutions
- Other costs
- Additional power
- Training for understanding and management of the solutions
- The many moving parts which make VDI solutions complex to design and build and operationally intensive and difficult to maintain
- The need for your business to build and maintain its own data centers
Simply put, DaaS provides all the benefits of VDI - and more - without the huge upfront CAPEX.